Sunday, April 15, 2012

Kumquats and Almond Tea Cakes


Here is the sequence of events from April 12, Thursday.
12:00pm - I discovered someone at work brought kumquats into work for everyone to take. I took a lot.
1:00pm - I started looking up recipes and found this one from tarteletteblog.com
2:00pm - I realized that I needed a cake tin, immediately purchased one from Amazon and paid the extra $3.99 for 1-day shipping so I could use it over the weekend
4:00pm - I called all of the Trader Joe's and Whole Foods' in the area to see who had millet flour
6:00pm - I went to Whole Foods to get all of the ingredients I needed.

What can I say? I work fast.

I absolutely loved this recipe. I think it helped greatly that the kumquats I took were incredibly sweet compared to any other kumquats I had ever tasted. You will see in the recipe that it calls for Kumquat Compote, which is super easy to make. You cut up 1 cup of kumquats with the rind on and bring it to a boil with 1 cup of sugar and 3/4 cup water. Once it comes to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and once cooled, drain the kumquats, saving about 2-3 tbsp of the syrup. Puree the kumquats and syrup until it looks and feels like a thick marmalade.

The cake is very moist and sweet, then when topped with the fresh kumquats, it brings a nice tartness to the dessert. This was actually the first recipe I've tried from tarteletteblog.com, which is surprising because I've drawn a lot of inspiration from that blog. I even purchased the food photography book from the blogger and am so happy to report that her recipes are legit! I will definitely be pulling more recipes from her, but in the meantime, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. i have a ton of kumquats in my backyard if you want more!

    ReplyDelete