Thursday, September 22, 2011

Mushrooms and potatoes in a red wine sauce



I debated calling this post "Mushrooms and potatoes in a red wine reduction" but thought that it sounded too pretentious for how easy it is. This side dish was delicious. I adapted it from herbivoracious.com, one of my favorite sites; however he used chanterelles and I can't afford chanterelles, but I did pair this with filet mignon because I had a deal from Living Social at whole foods. Gosh, I forgot how amazing whole foods is. Everything there just looked and smelled amazing, especially the produce.


Regarding this dish, the only thing I might do different is cut up the potatoes next time, mostly because it would photograph better. I didn't like how disproportionate the potatoes were to the mushrooms or to the steak. Anyway, I highly recommend this whole meal because steak, potatoes, and mushrooms just go well together. I made the steak a little differently this time because a friend suggested baking the steak first, then searing it, which made it super juicy...but the key to a good steak is to heavily salt and pepper the sucker; it makes a world of a difference. I'm not going to include the recipe for the steak mostly because I just kept an eye on everything and didn't time it; plus it varies for every size steak, but below is the recipe for the side dish.


I've decided I want to make a dessert next. I'm not really sure what yet, but something that looks really pretty...I am NOT a baker though so wish me luck!



1 comment:

  1. Lol "I can't afford the expensive mushrooms so I paired it with filet mignon "
    Steaks are so hard to make, they're really high maintenance. It takes me 4 hours to make a good steak, if it turns out good. I love filet , never tried making it before.
    That living social deal was awesome! I bought sushi!

    ReplyDelete